Sunday, October 21, 2012

Review: The Iron Queen by Julie Kagawa

Title: The Iron Queen
Author: Julie Kagawa
Publisher: Harlequin Teen
Publication date: January 25, 2011
Genre: YA, fantasy
Pages: 296 (ebook)
Series: The Iron Fey
1. The Iron King (review)
2. The Iron Daughter (review)
3. The Iron Queen
4. The Iron Knight (October 26, 2011)

**WARNING: SPOILERS**
Synopsis:
My name is Meghan Chase.

I thought it was over. That my time with the fey, the impossible choices I had to make, the sacrifices of those I loved, was behind me. But a storm is approaching, an army of Iron fey that will drag me back, kicking and screaming. Drag me away from the banished prince who's sworn to stand by my side. Drag me into the core of conflict so powerful, I'm not sure anyone can survive it.

This time, there will be no turning back.


I wasn’t sure what to expect from this book. What with Ash and Meghan being banished from the Nevernever, I didn’t really know how there could be a Faery book without going into Faery. As it started, I was worried it was going to be boring and flat, but it wasn’t entirely like that.

Soon enough, Meghan’s life is threatened, so she and Ash have to find a safe place to hide out. To be honest, I didn’t find the first half of the book very exciting. They visit the oracle and eventually make their was to Leanansidhe’s where they hide out and Meghan learns to fight. There’s nothing that really seems to happen. That is, until knights of Summer and Winter come to offer Meghan a deal; one that will offer her a return to the Nevernever, but also threaten her life. Of course.

Once Meghan, Ash, and Puck are back in the Nevernever and on their quest, I really started enjoying the story. It was more exciting, daring, and adventurous. I feel like Meghan really grew into her own in this book. She became really strong, independent and more grown-up, in my eyes. I think her relationship with Ash fostered this a bit, too.

One thing that was good throughout the book was the dynamic between the characters. Puck and Ash were constantly at each others’ throats, bickering and throwing insults. It was actually really refreshing in this book. And there was always an awkward comfort between Ash and Meghan. By that, I mean they were comfortable with one another and happy to be together, but it was awkward because they were teetering on the edge of that next big step in the relationship.

I think I’m really going to enjoy The Iron Knight. The way that this book ended just sets everything up so well that I can’t help but be excited to read the final book in the series. I’m really looking forward to… well I can’t say specifics because I don’t want to spoil anything. But there are a couple story lines in the last book and I know they’ll both be awesome.

buy the book from The Book Depository, free delivery

No comments:

Post a Comment