Monday, May 14, 2012

Review: Legend by Marie Lu

Title: Legend
Author: Marie Lu
Publisher: Putnam Juvenile
Publish Date: November 29, 2011
Genre: YA, dystopian
Pages: 305
Series: Legend #1
1. Legend
2. Prodigy (January 29, 2013)
Synopsis:
What was once the western United States is now home to the Republic, a nation perpetually at war with its neighbours. Born into an elite family in one of the Republic’s wealthiest districts, fifteen-year-old June is a prodigy being groomed for success in the Republic’s highest military circles. Born into the slums, fifteen-year-old Day is the country’s most wanted criminal. But his motives may not be as malicious as they seem.

From very different worlds, June and Day have no reason to cross paths—until the day June’s brother, Metias, is murdered and Day becomes the prime suspect. Caught in the ultimate game of cat and mouse, Day is in a race for his family’s survival, while June seeks to avenge Metias’s death. But in a shocking turn of events, the two uncover the truth of what has really brought them together, and the sinister lengths their country will go to keep its secrets.

Full of nonstop action, suspense, and romance, this novel is sure to move readers as much as it thrills.


I have to admit, I love star-crossed lovers. I really enjoy reading about a love that overcomes so many obstacles and can come out strong on the other side. Legend has one of the ultimate star-crossed lovers: June, prodigy of the Republic, and Day, most wanted criminal.

This book definitely has non-stop action and emotion. It kept me turning the pages, wanting to read more, know more, feel more. It was really interesting seeing the relationship between Day and June grow, before June realized she was with Day. It gave my hopeless romantic heart something to yearn for, because I knew how difficult things were going to get for them.

I really enjoyed the writing because it was written from both Day and June’s points of view. I think I love reading from multiple POVs so much because then I know what both characters are thinking and what they want. I can tell how much they like and need each other, and it gives me a reason to keep reading. I read and wait for them to see what I see.

The conspiracies that fly around this book are intense. There’s the Colonies, the Patriots, the Republic. In the poor sectors, there’s plague, Skiz fights, appointed jobs. Then there’s the Trial, the test that all citizens must take at age 10 that determines the rest of their lives. But overall, nothing is what it seems in the Republic, and it was so intense discovering this with both Day and June, who each discovered them in their own ways, at their own times.

As I neared the end of the book, I was getting really nervous. And when it ended, I wanted it to go on. Needless to say, I’m really looking forward to reading the next book, Prodigy, when it comes out January 2013!

buy the book from The Book Depository, free delivery

No comments:

Post a Comment