Friday, October 14, 2011

Character Interview: Winterborne by Augusta Blythe


Today, I'm very excited to have the main characters of Augusta Blythe's debut novel, WINTERBORNE, with me on the blog answering a few questions. I really enjoyed her story and writing, and posted my review here in September. Before we meet Loie, Mia, and Andreas, here's some more information about WINTERBORNE:

Synopsis:
Sixteen-year old Mia Winterborne is destined to be special. Details are sketchy, though, as her dad disappeared with all the answers when she was five. Mia only knows that she'll inherit her kickass superpowers on her seventeenth birthday. Helping Mia prepare for her anticipated ascendancy is Loie Bryce, her best friend and eternal sidekick extraordinaire. The girls' intense friendship has never wavered until now, when Andreas arrives in Salcey Ridge. They both fall hard for the British hottie, who quickly becomes a fixture in their lives. When they discover that Andreas is not who he appears to be, the frightening reality of Mia's powers finally hits home. The nearer Mia's birthday draws, the more the danger escalates and long-buried lies are exposed, putting the girls on a path that they never expected.

Interview

If there was a soundtrack to your life right now, what would it be?
Mia:  I'm going to go with Born This Way.
Loie:  Lady Gaga?
Mia:  Um, yes.  What's wrong with that?
Loie:  Don't you think that's more of an underdog song?
Mia:  (blankly)  It's about being beautiful and perfect and being a queen, not the drag kind.  What's more Mia than that?
Loie:  Okey doke then.  No Air sums it up nicely for me.  I'm hoping for something a little more up tempo next term.  How about you, Andreas?
Andreas: I think Teenage Dream is a good choice, the Glee version.  I'm fairly certain Darren Criss is one of us.  He has way too much charisma for a basic human.

What’s your biggest fear?
Mia: Getting mauled by a pack of hellhounds stands out for me at the moment.
Loie: That's a good one.  I'm going to go with losing everyone I love.  It seems more of a reality for me than most people.
Andreas: Ancients returning to the human world.  Some of them are big and bad and not so keen on sharing.

What was it like growing up together, almost like sisters?
Mia: Almost like twins, really.  It's like having another half of me walking the earth.  And we can read each other's thoughts, another twin thing.  I wish we had a magic ring and I could turn into an animal and she could turn into a body of water.
Loie: Okay, reality check.  We're not the Wonder Twins no matter how badly you want it.  (pauses)  It's having someone who's been in your life every step of the way, who knows all your secrets and flaws, and still loves you.
Mia:  Aw, you're so sweet.

Talk to me about Andreas...
Mia: I'm not talking him up too much.  Why sound the alarm that there's a hot, available British guy wandering the streets of Salcey Ridge?
Loie: (rolls eyes) Puh-leeze.
Mia:  Oh c'mon.  Like you don't think he's hot?
Loie:  Like he's available.
Andreas:  May I ask why I'm 'wandering the streets'?  You make me sound like a homeless madman.
Loie:  You are kinda homeless.
Mia:  And you could be a madman, too soon to tell.
Andreas:  (shrugs)  Point taken.

If you could live anywhere on earth, where would it be?
Mia: Bora Bora looks pretty good to me.  A hut on stilts over the ocean.
Loie: You in a hut?  Doubtful.
Mia:  Okay, a very large hut with multiple rooms and levels.
Loie: Anywhere, as long as it's as far from Salcey Ridge as possible.
Mia:  Bora Bora would fit the bill.  You can live with me!
Loie:  You and I squeezed into a hut over the ocean far from humanity?  
Andreas:  I smell a sitcom.
Loie: And will you be joining us in Bora Bora, Andreas?  British boy makes three.
Andreas:  It's my beloved English countryside, I'm afraid.  Its beauty is unsurpassed by anything I've seen in America.
Mia:  I beg your pardon.
Andreas:  We're discussing places, not people.
Mia:  Discussion over.

Thanks for being with us today and answering all of my questions! It was a blast learning about you!

**********

To learn more about Augusta Blythe and WINTERBORNE, make sure you visit Augusta's blog here. You can buy your own ebook copy of WINTERBORNE at Amazon, B&N, Smashwords, iBookstore, or OmniLit. Did I mention it's only $0.99 USD?

1 comment: